Thursday, July 6, 2017

'SongSong' Couple: How It All Began

It all started in “Descendants of the Sun.”

For the public


Fans and viewers of the “Descendants of the Sun” cannot deny the chemistry shared between main actors Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo in the series. The pair has brought to life a fictional couple whose romantic story was loved and coveted by many.

(c) KBS World - Promotional Poster for Descendants of the Sun

As the public couldn’t get enough of the romance between Captain Yoo Si Jin (Song Joong Ki) and Doctor Kang Mo Yeon (Song Hye Kyo), everyone was soon convinced that what they see on screen is just a translation of a real-life couple in the making. It then created the hype with the ‘SongSong’ couple, a portmanteau of the pair’s names created by fans.

As everyone rabidly supported this blossoming romance, suddenly, on July 5, 2017, news of ‘SongSong’ couple tying the knot broke the internet. This brought a huge surprise to many as both Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo never admitted in being in a relationship together. Following this shocking news, it was later revealed that the ‘SongSong’ ship has long since sailed even before “Descendants of the Sun” or ‘SongSong’ couple came to be.

For Song Hye Kyo


For celebrity couple Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo, their real life love story began from the time they started working together.

(c) Song Hye Kyo Instagram
“Joong Ki and I were first co-workers who matched well,” Song Hye Kyo, in a letter to her fans, personally shared how it all began.

“Throughout the project, I realized that we had similar values and ideas, and I was able to share everything with him. He was such a good co-worker and friend to me, so we contacted frequently and spent time to get to know each other better.”

Song Hye kyo, age 35, is one of South Korea’s top actresses. She made her acting debut in the 1996 television drama “First Love” and later became known throughout Asia after starring in hit melodrama “Autumn in My Heart” in 2000.

In her long career in the acting industry, Song Hye Kyo has dated some celebrities including her co-star in “All In” Lee Byung Hun, and later Hyun Bin from “Secret Garden” whom she broke up with in 2011. In 2015, she is cast in “Descendants of the Sun” where she met Song Joong Ki.

For Song Joong Ki


“I recently had the honor of participating in a production that could let me shine. It was such an amazing experience to me because I received so much undeserved love. During that time, I made a precious friend who eventually became my lover.”

Song Joong Ki wrote in his personal letter for his fans, confirming the truth of the news of his marriage with “Descendants of the Sun” co-star Song Hye Kyo.

I think a lot of my loving fans would’ve been taken aback by the sudden news. I wanted to tell everyone earlier, but I had to be cautious because it was a decision that involved two people and their respective families. I also didn’t want to cause any trouble to the people involved in my upcoming film. I hope you will understand.”

(c) Song Hye Kyo Instagram

Song Joong Ki’s first TV appearance was as a contestant on KBS's Quiz Korea. From then he made his way into the entertainment industry, making his acting debut in “A Frozen Flower” in 2008. But it was only later in 2010 when he acted in “Sungkyunkwan Scandal” and was casted in variety program “Running Man” that his name finally became known.

Working his way up in his career, Joong Ki was later cast in “Descendants of the Sun” right after finishing his military enlistment. At this point he met Song Hye Kyo, his “noona” in age with 4 years difference and his “sunbae” in the acting industry. Spending a long time with the actress as they filmed “Descendants of the Sun,” it seemed that he found the woman he’d like to spend the rest of his life with.

In the beginning of 2017, the two of us promised to spend our lives together. In order to begin a new life where we can get through difficult times together, Song Hye Kyo and I have decided to get married on the last day of October.”

The ‘SongSong’ couple


A mutual acquaintance of the couple revealed to media outlet OSEN that they have observed Joong Ki and Hye Kyo getting closer behind the scenes and beyond their work relationship way back in 2015. For instance, Song Joong Ki supposedly came in person during Song Hye Kyo’s photo shoot just to deliver some snacks for her. The source person also added that the couple didn’t really conceal their relationship to the people around them but that they only responded indifferently when asked. In the end people around them did sense there was something going on between the two.

(c) Song Hye Kyo Instagram
Last year, during the time when “Descendants of the Sun” reigned in popularity, Song Joong Ki was interviewed by Chinese media at his photo shoot for “Bazaar.” The actor was asked with regards to his dating style and he revealed that if he dates someone, he intends to keep his relationship private.

“My dating style is not that special. But I have no plans to go public if I get into a relationship,” Song Joong Ki stated. “I will do my best to preserve the emotion for the person that I like but I also want to keep it secret for that person.”

True to his words, the actor never admitted his relationship with Song Hye Kyo not until they have both decided to marry each other. While the news totally blindsided the public, the couple still got showered with love and support from their fans. The ‘SongSong’ pair thanked their fans and hoped for the support of their love story.

I promise to live my life as a great actor and a reliable head of my family.” Song Joong Ki stated in his letter. “I hope you will continue to support our relationship. Thank you.”

Meanwhile, Song Hye Kyo wrote: I feel nervous announcing the news all of a sudden, but I trust that my fans will support me. Please continue to love me like you have until now. Thank you for waiting and believing in me. The two of us will live happily. Please give us your blessings! Thank you.”  
(c) KBS World Facebook

Congratulations to the real to reel to real phenomenal ‘SongSong’ couple! We look forward to the beginning of your married life!

Source: (1 , 2 )

No comments:

Post a Comment